Tuesday, June 8

five hours...

I've been back in the US of A for a week now and am so happy that I didn't miss out on this gorgeous view...
...to just sit around in the airport and futz around on my computer during my layover from noon to five. Life is too short to NOT see the beaches of CancĂșn when the opportunity arises. Even though it took me a few minutes to decide what to do - I said, "Care!" (I like to call myself Care)... "Care! Get out into the world! Explore! Experience!" So I locked up my carry-on, put on those sunglasses and ventured out...of the airport.  

It took me 10 more minutes to figure out which transportation to take. Most drivers were surprised by my ghastly white skin + good Spanish skills combo. However - I didn't receive any of that "you can speak Spanish so I won't take advantage of your gringo-ness" hospitality. I even checked with a sweet Mexican woman, "which transportation is going to rip me off the least?" She told me she was meeting her Virginian boyfriend at a hotel on the beach (bicultural relationships are all the rage) and that I was welcome to share a taxi with her. Since her hotel was a little farther away and because I knew she would like that dramatic reuniting with her bf (without the third wheel)...I kindly declined and jumped into the $15 shuttle to the hotel district. First stop: the mall.
Hey - don't judge. I had fiiiive hours to burn and I don't like to tan or be in the sun in general. Plus I had to make a special pit stop for this bad boy. 
Are you judging me again? Beggars can't be choosers, guys! Starbucks has air-conditioning and the guarantee that the ice won't give you Moctezuma's revenge. That's enough to convince me! Until Stone Creek Coffee makes me manager of their new CancĂșn location - I'm making no excuses. 

So my lovely iced latte and I crossed the street to the first hotel we saw...the Westin. This place was so massive, I decided I could strut in there and pretend to be another sun-worshipping northerner without anyone batting an eye.  The rush I got when the receptionists responded to my "buenas tardes" with a kind, unsuspecting smile - goes to show that I am the least danger-seeking person in the world. Kind of sad...but still...kind of fun. 
Sorry, Westin, for sneaking in and enjoying the relaxing afternoon in your shade and in your beach chair...but I just couldn't help myself. The Mexy adventures must continue.  

No comments:

Post a Comment